A Certified Mental Health Technician (MhTC) also known as a psychiatric aide participates in both the planning and implementing of individual patient treatment plans. A MHT may perform some or all of the following duties. However, they are not limited to just these responsibilities:
- Care for mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed people
- Hygiene of patients
- Patients pulse, temperature and respiration
- Lead prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of therapeutic procedures
- Assist patients with daily living activities
Practice Settings Mental Health Technicians have special training in two areas that have a tremendous unmet need–treatment programs for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled. Mental health technicians work in private and public mental health hospitals or on the psychiatric wards of general hospitals, mental health clinics, schools for the mentally retarded, drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinics, nursing homes, community agencies and human services programs. In a hospital setting, the mental health technician may perform routine nursing tasks such as taking pulse, blood pressure and respiration rates. In a group therapy setting, the mental health worker will encourage patients to participate while being supportive.
Candidates undertaking these qualifications must be 18 and over.
Applicants should possess a minimum of three (3) CXC subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Biology or Human and Social Biology (HSB) with passes at Grades 1, 2 or 3.
Registration Fee: (NON-REFUNDABLE): $4,000.00
Pay at any SAGICOR Branch to Chequing Account # 5503391831
Payment Plan is available on request from the Administrative Office.
*All Fees are subject to change.
7 months inclusive of 4 weeks internship.
Exams and Assessments
- Continuous Internal Assessment by Tutors.
- Externally set and marked examination papers at the end of course.
- The American Medical Certification Association (AMCA) offers the examination Mental Health Technician Certification (MHTC). The exam paper is comprised of 100 questions.
WordPress › Error